Monday, November 06, 2006

What A Weekend!

The mush anticipated garage sale went pretty well. Didn't realize that the huge Whale of a Sale was going on at the same time....duh. Anyhow, we sold the big items we really wanted to get rid of, so that was great. We made some $ on stuff we would have otherwise given away or thrown out. We also made a big donation to GoodWill, so everbody was a winner! That is except this incredible woman who came by early in the sale....

She pulled up in her car around the beginning of the sale, around 8am or so. I said "Good morning. How are you this morning?" She responded, "Oh, I am blessed, I am blessed." I said, "Yes ma'am we are all blessed to be alive on such a beautiful sunny morning." She looked some things over, wanted to know what we would take for the computer desk (really large with credenza) that we had marked $25. I told her I was pretty firm on that price, this early in the day. She said, "Well, it is a good price, whoever gets it will surely be blessed, I just can't afford it right now." She walked to the washing machine that was marked $35 and asked if it worked, etc. We said yes that it had been in storage, but when it was last hooked up it worked. She asked if we would hold it for her, she had to go pay a bill and would be right back, she lived around the corner. I said we would need her to pay for it or leave a deposit, then we would be glad to hold it. She said she had to go pay a bill first, she didn't have the money on her and she pulled out $2 asking if we would accept that as a good faith deposit. We finally agreed. She then said, "I have to go pay my bill, cause I don't have any lights, my lights got turned off. I will be back after I pay my bill to pick it up." She left, the sale went on with more people coming and saying they really liked so and so and would be back, my sweet husband believed them all. He is adorable and sweet and it's why I love him, and he is very trusting of people. Some of these folks actually did come back. Without a deposit or payment, we didn't hold stuff for folks. Its just too complicated. So the day went on, we sold the computer desk for $25 and my sweet husband even delivered it for the really nice woman who bought it. She sent her nephew to pick it up in a car and Mike has a truck, so he just followed the young man to her house. We were about to pack it in for the day, around 2:30 or so we were discussing what we were going to do with this VERY HEAVY washing machine. We tried to give it to one of the young men who was working on the house next door. His English was not very good and neither was our Spanish, but he finally told us he had nowhere to actually put it! A little while later a young woman came up with two children, she bought some boots and asked how much we would take for the washing machine, she offered $20 and we took it. She paid me and asked if we could hold it until she brought someone to pick it up. We said sure. Then as she left she asked the guys next door working on the house if they would put it in her truck for her(she spoke Spanish, oh yeah and she was very pretty!) they said yes. So off she went with her purchases. We started packing it in and were almost done around 3:30 or so and the "blessed" lady pulls up. Mike goes to talk to her and I go to get her $2.00 to give back to her. She is really a piece of work! Mike explains that we sold the washing machine and she didn't come back like she said she was going to. I reiterated that when I brought her her money. She didn't say anything more to me, but Mike is so nice and she kept on and on with him about how this was a lesson for us all. She told him she felt "VIOLATED". I can't explain how angry her choice of words makes me...... I am so glad I didn't hear that particular exchange, it makes me angry even now. I want so much to say to her...
You were VIOLATED because we sold the washing machine? VIOLATED? Are you kidding me? What a poor choice of words. Women are violated in great numbers everyday all over the world and I assure you ma'am in this instance you were NOT violated! How dare you?!?!
I need to go take a valium and calm down. :)

No comments: